The Chicago days are getting chillier and it’s that time of year to turn on the furnace. Before winter hits and the snow covered ground prevents you from doing home updates, make sure you’ve checked off these tasks from your list.
• Repair and seal cold drafts from windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping
• Check the exterior of your home for damage and make the necessary updates to seal brick mortar or change out siding
• Have the chimney cleaned and ready for the next few months of warming fires
• Make sure outdoor light fixtures are working properly
• Disconnect garden hoses and shut off the sprinkler system
• Clean out the gutters and replace damaged roof shingles
• Replace dirty furnace filters and check to make sure your furnace is running properly
With these projects checked off your list, your home will be prepared to face the coming months of Chicago winters. For help updating your exterior light fixtures so you won’t be left in the dark at the end of the work day, shop online at Hortons or visit one of our three showrooms.